An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday after a man died following a reported shooting in Toronto, police say.
The man was found suffering from a gunshot wound in the basement of a home in the city’s North York area, police say. He was rushed to hospital in critical condition. The man later died from his injuries.
Crime scene investigators were called to the scene Monday night but have since left, according to a police spokesman.
Police remain at the scene Tuesday, conducting search of the basement and other areas of the home.
Though no arrests have been made in the case, police tweeted early Tuesday that they are investigating a “black Lexus SUV” as a potential motive.
The shooting comes after three men were killed at an apartment complex in Toronto earlier this month, CNN affiliate CP24 reported.
That incident saw an unconfirmed report of an active shooter situation and police sent alerts to residents warning of shots fired, the affiliate reported.
In a statement on its Facebook page, Toronto police asked people not to congregate in the area and to stay in their homes.
“On a weekday afternoon in August — a time when families are out with their kids playing — we want our communities to know that you can expect the high number of police officers in the area and that the Toronto Police Service is there to support you,” police said.
“Please continue to avoid the area,” they said.
CNN has reached out to Toronto police for further comment.